Glenora Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Aurora7948
Rookie

Hi everyone! I used this website to plan a "Waterfalls Quest" for my birthday this past weekend. We went to a bunch of different sites around the southern tip of Seneca Lake as well as stopping at a few places down the west side of the lake. I was very surprised however when I reached Glenora Falls only to discover that it is a PRIVATE waterfall! The people who own the house (who happened to be on their back porch when we got there) were very nice and let me go take some pictures anyways. It was just slightly embarassing though take the people I was with out of the way only to find out that it was private and that I had to ask to see it. So I figured that I would let you know (and this was the only way that I could find to contact this site in anyway) and to ask you to update your site information (like the map). Also, if you would like a couple of pictures of this waterfall or Seneca Mills Falls to create webpages for either one, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks!
Last edited by Matt on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed the title
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Yes, the guy that lives there was very accommodating when we visited a few years ago. He didn't have any problem with us walking behind his house to take pictures of the falls when we asked him. It's interesting how the creek splits in two after the plunge pool of the falls and leaves his house on an island.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

That does look like a nice one good shot on bing there. At least the owner is accommodating. Looks like a bunch more on the stream above there too, not as big, but nice anyway. Looks like they could be accessed by the railroad tracks, depending on who owns that land. Not to mention walking along RR tracks is trespassing too. :D
LGD
chrish51
Rookie
Camera Model: pentax optio a40

Dear Aurora,

Thank you for your post. In 1960, my grandparents took me to the area near Lake Seneca (Is that the correct Finger Lake?) where the waterfall you describe is located. A friend of theirs rented the house the falls belong to. My grandfather, a fisherman, had a blast fishing the falls' pool, the two tributaries you mentioned, and the lake. It was one of the best times of my life. I still think of that waterfall and the yard adjoining it as my "quiet place" (though not literally, of course; waterfalls aren't known for being quiet). The point is, that area was so beautiful that I've never forgotten it. If you have pictures to share, I'd be very grateful. I'd love to have a keepsaket o remind me of that time. Also, like you, I've thought to visit the area. But I knew all the places I'd been to were privately owned at the time I was there, so I never bothered; I don't have my grandfather's connections.

If you have pictures to share, I'd be very grateful for them. I'd love to have a keepsake from that time. Thank you for the information you’ve posted and thank you in advance for any picture(s) you can share.

chrish51
(email address available from administrator)
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Welcome Chrish! Thanks for your recollection of Glenora. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of those falls, some other members might though. You are correct it is on Seneca Lake. Here is an aerial view of the falls....

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r2fhdh ... vl=1&sty=b
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Sparrow
Rookie

Attachments
10359238_10202949478363280_6407853227782584721_n.jpg
10359238_10202949478363280_6407853227782584721_n.jpg (102.73 KiB) Viewed 7764 times
Last edited by Kelly on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed photo inline
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

I stopped here last Saturday. Very impressive falls !
Glenora Falls 0324 5-2-2015 HD sml.JPG
Glenora Falls 0324 5-2-2015 HD sml.JPG (217.49 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
Marty
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
RichieC
Rookie

Drove by Glenora Falls on 7/1/21. Beautiful falls! Nice view even from the roadside.
1. Glenora Falls 7.1.21.jpg