Wilmington Notch Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Not to be confused with the Wilmington Flume which is a few miles down river, these are the ones behind the campground. I wouldn't exactly call them thin, either.

This is the view that's pretty much the same as the one on the cover of Derek Doeffinger's book. The hill from the campground is a bit steep, but not too bad.
Wilmington Notch Falls
Wilmington Notch Falls
PICT2380.jpg (132.76 KiB) Viewed 5746 times
A bit more scrambling and you can get down to the water's edge for a more head on view:

I didn't have to pay anything when I went there, I just popped my head into the park office and said I was going down to the falls to take pictures and that my car was parked out front. The teenager there didn't seem to care one way or the other.

Definitely worth a visit, and be sure to see the flume as it's just a ways down the road, and is now owned by the state, or Nature Conservancy, I forget which, so no problem with access. I'll get some pictures of that posted eventually.
Last edited by L_G_D on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

i like the shape of that falls it looks different somehow.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

A lot of the rivers in the central Adirondacks follow fault zones, which makes for a lot of jagged broken rock. Add to that heavy glaciation in the past with large amounts of meltwater that created heavy erosion and you have an interesting scene. The Wilmington Flume shows this much better, where at one spot on the cliff walls you can see the progression of old waterfalls that used to be there by the wear marks and potholes they left behind that are high and dry 30 feet up the wall now.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I had the pleasure of finally seeing a FLOWING waterfall this year. Like LGD, I didn't have to pay. An older gentleman seemed to feel sorry for me for wanting to hike down the incline in the gloomy weather and told me to just go ahead despite several signs in and outside the office notifying day visitors to pay the $6 fee.

The walk down the hill isn't too bad. Very short walk from the parking lot and well worth the effort in the area. There are 2 or more great viewing areas of these falls. One being from where LGD took his. The other being from above from which I found my best perspective. This is a really neat falls to shoot, and fun to climb around the rocks down near the river's edge. There is a large ampitheatre from a rock overhang to the left of the falls that is pretty cool as well.

Wilmington Notch Falls by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Great shot, Kyle, about how high up is that ledge you are on?
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Nice shot. I noticed my imageshack link was being derpy so I fixed it as an attachment. I should probably do that for most of my other posts.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Ah yes very similar shot there!

My guess Matt would be about 80'
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Went here over the 4rth as the waterflow is just amazing. Pretty certain I stood on the same rock as Kyle for my shot. Interesting to compare water volume.

Located at the Wilmington Notch State Campsite. The really nice Ranger let me through when I told I was only there for pictures and would be a 1/2 hour. From the ranger office, you literally walk behind it straight back. 10 minute hike, There is only one place where there is no fence, so down you go.You will find this ledge easy enough.

I like the slow shutter speed shot of this a lot, but the high speed really shows the power of the water movement here, for me. This is deceiving how tall it is, because at the bottom it is more of a cascade, which in a picture plays funky with your perspective.

If you go to this waterfall, consider Wilmington Flume as they are super close.

July 4, 2013 by ApproachingLight, on Flickr