Taughannock Falls State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Taughannock Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
4%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
30%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 27
redreamer
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: CANON REBEL XT EOS

the falls are great! the light was awful...... :(

such a dark day!

heres a couple i took..... the walks were rather icy with compacted snow and ice over the top so the hike was a little slower than at other times of the year.....we had fun!

Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

Glad to hear you had fun, even in the icy conditions. You have some nice photos from your visit. I went out in the fall and took some photos. Here are some that I took than. I think tT-Falls are my favorite. (close to home that is). This is a wonderful set of falls. :D

redreamer
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: CANON REBEL XT EOS

oh i see........... wow!!! loving the golden light! seems like i will have to go back each season..........close to home? where are you?

lol..

I loved the photos and thanks for posting them..... i was surprised at how dim the light ended up being ......it was the day i am afraid.... you always take a chance this time of year......

But i still enjoyed the visit and the photos......... took a bit of video for my sweltering family in Australia just to rub it in about the abundance of water here.... he he *laughs evilly*
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

I live in Ithaca. I love it here. We have tons of waterfalls and Gorges. I have easy access to most places. I am just waiting for spring again. I do not go out too much in the winter. Hate the ice and with good reason :twisted:

Thanks for loving the photos .. lol. I totally love the fall around here. I have to say the Red's are my favorite colors.

This one was taken on the park side :D

You should come back if you can in all seasons. It is totally worth the trip.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

No one has replied to Hoohaa's inquiry, but in general you are going to find more "action" this time of year on the falls located on major rivers than those on lesser streams such as Taughannock Creek. I was last at T Falls in August of 2005 when the water volume was about equivalent to that coming out of a garden hose. I would also guess that you'll find more water in the north flowing streams that dump into the southern ends of the lakes, such as those in Ithaca and Watkins Glen, than in those streams flowing east or west into the sides of the lakes, again such as at T Falls. If I had to pick one area most likely to have maximum flow in the winter, I'd guess it would be the falls of the Genesee River. I don't know for sure about any of these points, just my best guesses. Maybe some of the locals can add something.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Well, my ID in the right margin labels me a rookie and I guess that's right... obviously several members responded to Hoohaa's inquiry. I must have been reading the thread backwards. Duh, what a rookie!!! :oops:
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

That's okay. With the temperatures this week perhaps there will be enough ice on the falls for Matt's January photo challenge!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I plan on heading out there this winter... but I'm wating on some good ice buildup