Taughannock Falls State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Taughannock Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
4%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
30%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 27
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Idk if the was a white balance issue. Right at dusk, after very heavy thunderstorms...the landscape as a whole had this purple tint to it. While unnatural looking, it is as I saw it...and the photos I tried to fix look worse than this one. So its a keeper for me. 3" exposure hanging over the bridge : )
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
jroz
Junior
Junior

gardengirl13 wrote:Anyone know exactly where this is?
http://www.pbase.com/deanhueber/image/81021404

Dean says it's up the road from the lookout. The only fall I saw up there is the one by the bridge. Is this maybe across the street from that one? My husband and I should be going up there again this fall so i can shoot these falls again with some fall colors and I'd love to shoot this spot.
I've photographed that one.

IMGP5760 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP5748 by jroz, on Flickr

You can see in this shot of the Upper Falls, it comes down the left side just above it the Upper Falls.

IMGP5739 by jroz, on Flickr
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: OMD-EM5

Oh I see now! How do you get to that spot to shoot? Those are great shots!!!

I'm getting so excited about this trip! We're waiting to book it as work has been whispering about layoffs, but in my mind if we pay for it all now, then I do get laid off it'll be a nice already paid for way of getting away from that stress. Waterfalls always relax me and make me feel very close to nature.
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: OMD-EM5

hobkyl wrote:Idk if the was a white balance issue. Right at dusk, after very heavy thunderstorms...the landscape as a whole had this purple tint to it. While unnatural looking, it is as I saw it...and the photos I tried to fix look worse than this one. So its a keeper for me. 3" exposure hanging over the bridge : )

I seen light like that around here. Add a filter to it and it can cast color like that. I have a great 10 stop filter, but it sometimes will cast a magenta tone. Personally I think it adds to the shot! I love the color, it adds a weird eerie mood to it. When I took that shot it wasn't anywhere near as cool looking as your angle, or colors.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

hobkyl wrote:Idk if the was a white balance issue. Right at dusk, after very heavy thunderstorms...the landscape as a whole had this purple tint to it. While unnatural looking, it is as I saw it...and the photos I tried to fix look worse than this one. So its a keeper for me. 3" exposure hanging over the bridge : )
ahh ... interesting!
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Further evidence that art & photography are subject to individual taste. :up: :confused: :down:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Got here on 09-13-11:

-----
spec
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

wow, those are really nice shots. :up:
I'm thinking about heading to the area the following weekend and visit some of the waterfalls
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur