Taughannock Falls State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Taughannock Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
4%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
30%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 27
Falzguy

Nice job on the Taughannock Falls page. This is what is needed for all the parks that have waterfalls.

State park rules and regulations are meant to make the park safe for all visitors. Section 375.1 (i) of the park rules and regulations which relates to prohibited activities states in part: “Use of Established Ways. No person shall use other than trails, overlooks, roads and other ways established and provided for the public use by the office.”

Or to put it another way, you not allowed to walk in the stream bed. A friend of mine was walking the stream bed and was arrested for trespassing. His english is not that good and I think he misunderstood the officer when asked to return to the trail. Like the park brochure mentions "Please stay on designated trails."

I know the 20 foot high falls, located on the tributary between the Upper Falls and Falls Road bridge, as Cold Spring Branch Falls.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Matt.... wow! yeah, as Scott said, amazing job on the Taughannock page!

I was curious. Where do you get all the links for the B&B's you put on each falls page? I was curious if there was a public online direcory or something. Just looking for a place to go for our 2 year anniversary coming up.

Chris
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks!
I'm working on additional photos (of the upper portion of park) right now.
For the B&Bs, It just takes a lot of time and web searching.
Usually a good place to look is the chamber of commerce web site of the county/local goverment.

I don't usually walk the creekbeds of most parks. (Stonybrook being a big exception).

It's amazing what some people will do. When I was taking these shots from the lookout, a German couple and their 2 kids came by and they put them up on top of the barrier and then over and let their kids explore the area on the cliffs beyond the lookout. It was overgrown and I couldn't tell where the drop began. That was the worse case of all the people I see putting their kids on or over the protective railings, which happens all the time.
Falzguy

I mentioned the State Park rule as the Office of State Parks asked me to include it in my Letchworth book. I was told it applies to all parks. Just thought it might save you some trouble if they become concerned about your creek walking remark. I know a lot of people walk the creek.
Matt
President
President

I'm planning a disclaimer page... I think it may go on there. Or maybe a section of "Cautions" for each profile. But then I'd hate to list some rules and not others. I'll have to decide on this later.
Falzguy

For another view of this falls check out my monthly photo page at http://geocities.com/falzguy.geo/monthly-photo-ver.html
Matt
President
President

Falzguy wrote:For another view of this falls check out my monthly photo page at http://geocities.com/falzguy.geo/monthly-photo-ver.html
Very nice shot! What type of camera do you use?
It's a tough falls to get a good full view of. I tried to get a slow shutter shot of it, but my tripod just wasn't cooperating. That and I was a little fearful of dropping it over the edge.
Falzguy

Yes, it is a very tough shot to get. Lighting and the fence makes things quite difficult.

I believe the camera I used that day was my Olympus C-5060. It has a wide angle lens.