Damoths Gully, Hammondsport NY

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I was going to drive around Seneca Lake today to go scouting, but decided to check out Damoth's Gully instead. There was an ample amount of water in the creek. I parked in the adjacent gravel lot on 54, and walked the creek up. This is a very nice gully, unfotunately again though I had issues with lighting, and getting the look I wanted from the falls. One of these days! Lol. Nonetheless a great creek walk. Theres about 4 falls in this gully.

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

hobkyl, you just hit another one I have on my "to see" list. :) I've been to Damoth's before but have only seen the upper falls at very low water. You don't have a pic of that one posted so I assume you didn't see that one. The Freemans in their 200 waterfalls book give directions to this falls. You have to drive all the way to the top of Winding Stair Road, hook up with the Finger Lakes Trail which leads down into the gully, then hike upstream a few 100 yards. Of course I noticed that there's a huge elevation drop from here down to route 54 so I figured there would be some falls in there. Thanks for posting! If I remember correctly, I think there's also a fairly spectacular roadside falls a few miles north of here along route 54.

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

Thanks Chris. I've seen this on the waterfall map, but there's no information or pics...so I had to go see for myself. I wasn't sure if there were more above the last one I came to, that looked unclimable.

This is an ariel shot of the last falls that I came to (pretty sure).

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1

I can see a couple more beyond that, but then the gully gets narrow.

Anyone know anything about Glen Brook-across the valley? There's a resevoir there, and alot of posted signs. Here's an ariel shot of that. Definately would like to check that out.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... &encType=1
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

If you scroll upstream on your Damoth's link until you see Longwell Rd., the falls that we saw is just to the left of the bend in the road. You can see it in the aerial shot. Longwell Rd. doesn't exist anymore and is now a part of the Finger Lakes Trail.

Hammondsport Glen does have a spectacular falls in it. Possibly close to 100 ft. tall. We visited once 4-5 years ago. We tried to revisit the glen a few years later but it had become heavily posted so we did not enter.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Great photos. This is one glen I'd like to visit this year.
hobkyl

Thanks Matt...but hope you do get down there this year so we can see some better photos!
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

According to this update I just got on the Finger Lakes Trail mailing list, it looks like the upper portion of Damoth's Gully is off limits now. (the FLT is the path you need to use to get down to the creek to visit the upper falls.)
The following year round closure has been posted under Trail Conditions on the FLTC website. Signs have been posted on both the north and south trailheads on Winding Stairs Road and the junction of Longwell Road and CR 113.

10/12/09 Irene Szabo and Lisa Treichler- Map M12 Because of loss of a landowner permission the trail south of Hammondsport between Winding Stairs Road and County Route 113 is now closed year round. Instead use the hunting bypass shown on that map: From west to east, turn right (south) on Winding Stairs Road for 1.1 miles, and then left (east and north) on CR 113 (Mt. Washington Argus Hill Rd.) for 2.4 miles to rejoin existing trail going east on Longwell Road. This 3.5 mile bypass replaces 2.5 miles of former trail. Efforts will be made find an off road alternative.