Judd's Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

My second visit I had more time so I walked to the base of the falls. It seemed to me there were recent rockfalls or slides because the rocks in the stream bed still had dirt lodged between them. I thought if the slides were older the stream would have washed away the dirt and left only the stones.
Attachments
a100_0329.jpg
a100_0329.jpg (182.13 KiB) Viewed 5385 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

After leaving Judd's Falls, I rode to Salt Springville Road. As far as I know these falls are simply called Salt Springville Road Falls. The property is posted, but the falls are right next to the road so you can stand on the shoulder and shoot. I haven't been back during the summer, so I don't know if trees or undergrowth would obscure the view. The falls are about 1.5 miles from Judd's Falls. GPS 42.837784, -74.749657.
Attachments
salt springville.jpg
salt springville.jpg (251.08 KiB) Viewed 5385 times
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Very cool. Nice to see the place is still somewhat accessible.

As for the trail leading in, yes, it's best to hang a left as soon as possible. The first time I visited Judd's Falls, the trail was very obvious, even more like a dirt road leading to the left from the trail that starts at the parking area. The next time I was there a few years later, I missed the turn off completely even though I was looking for it, it had been overgrown, and I ended up too far down the main trail and had to hike back up the stream.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

LGD,

I like your photo from behind the ice! Looks fun.

Have you been out this past winter?
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks, those were from a long time ago, lol. I haven't been out shooting at all this winter, the snow and weather just kept blocking us every time we tried to make plans to go hiking.
LGD
Rickhem
Rookie
Camera Model: IPhone 6s+

First off....GREAT SITE! This will be a valuable resource for planning hikes going forward.

Took a hike to Judds Falls near Cherry Valley this past weekend. It's a short hike, only about an hour round trip, and even with the low water, there was still some flow to see. This would be an interesting revisit after a good storm just to see what it looks like with lots of water.

Here's my GF at the bottom with the falls behind her:

Here is the view after I climbed up the falls a bit and looked back down through the falling water:

And finally, since this gorge must have been a convenient place to dispose of things, here's a pic of where a bunch of cable spools, guard-rail sections, shopping carts, and other assorted refuse seems to have all collected. Judging by how some spools are burried, these have been here a long time:
Last edited by Kelly on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Relocated to existing topic
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Nice shots, good to see the place is still accessible.

FYI, the main linked post for this falls is here: http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2713
LGD
Rickhem
Rookie
Camera Model: IPhone 6s+

I intended to make my post here after a recent visit to Judds Falls, but it ended up elsewhere. Oh well, it's here if anyone wants to view it:
http://nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4795