Barberville Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Kelly, Brenda

Barberville Falls

Postby L_G_D » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:36 am

Thought I'd start out with my first waterfall post by filling in a couple in Rensselaer County, since it doesn't have any yet :cry:

First up, a really good one, Barberville Falls. This is on Poestenkill Creek (or just the Poesten Kill, since kill means creek or stream in Dutch) and is ~60 feet or so. Long the scene of high school keg parties and hot summer days crowded with people beating the heat, it's now owned by the Nature Conservancy and access is no longer a sketchy sneak in.

Thing is, I had to reach waaaayyyy back into my film archives to find a picture of this one. Apparently, familiarity breeds contempt and I haven't given this one much photo time compared to smaller waterfalls that are miles further away from home. Oh well, maybe I will get over there some time with good light and do it justice.

13502413barbervillefall.jpg

New pic I just took a couple hours ago:
dsc4592.jpg

Here's a google map.

Russell Dunn has this one listed in his Hudson Valley Region Guide on pages 91-93.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by L_G_D on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Advertisement

Re: Barberville Falls

Postby backpacker » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:40 am

nice shot
Looks like a falls worth re-doing
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:08 am

thanks for posting. Eventually I will get these on the list.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby L_G_D » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Forgot about Virtual Earth, here's a link, nice shot from the air:

Click here.
Last edited by L_G_D on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Barberville Falls - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Postby George » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:21 pm

It's my honor to post the first waterfall in Rensselaer County, my home county, on these pages. Barberville Falls are a 90 foot falls on the Poestenkill that have been purchased by the good folks at the Nature Conservancy. A well maintained trail leads to views from both the top and bottom.

Barberville Falls.jpg

Barberville Gorge.jpg

There are other trails along the creek and ridge that are part of the preserve, but these are separated from the falls trail by inholdings of private parcels. And therein lies the only problem with an otherwise spectacular place. Check out the No Tresspassing sign at the top of the falls:

Posted.jpg

What in God's name is this owner thinking? That someone is going to make a life-threatening traverse to look in his back window? That someone is going to climb 90 feet of slickrock to raid his birdhouse? Put the sign on a tree instead of bolting it to the rock. The only explanation for this is the old joke - why does a dog lick himself? Because he can.

And now the unfortunate ugly. This is a reminder that you are in rural Rensselaer County, where the family trees don't have many branches:

Barberville Graffiti.jpg

Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful place, and if you are in the area you should visit. But why can't we just get along?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Re: Barberville Falls - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:33 am

Hmmm... I wonder how long that sign has been there... and how many winters it will last?
Great photos and info. Thanks for sharing.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby L_G_D » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:33 pm

From what I remember, that posted sign has been there a long time, or it gets replaced a lot. That's why I took the shots above from further to the right, where it's less obvious and obnoxious. I would guess the land owner up on the top of the hill got a little fed up with people climbing the falls and causing a nuisance, since that used to be the big party spot back in the day.
Last edited by L_G_D on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby George » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:51 am

Nice pics LGD. Sorry I jumped your claim on being the first to post in the county - didn't see a link from the Waterfalls page. Keggers by the falls, huh? Personal experience? I'll bet it kept the rescue squads busy, just like Poestenkill Gorge does now.
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Postby L_G_D » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:00 pm

No claim jumping to worry about, getting the word out about publically accessible waterfalls is the important part, maybe we can get a link on the main page sometime. Love your fall color shots, I should get over there before all the leaves are gone.

Yeah, back in the day, it was the spot for parties, though I can't be 100% sure that people dragged actual kegs down there. I do know there was quite a bit of beer consumption considering all the bottles that used to be strewn around at one time. I remember going there several times when the road was practically blocked with cars parked on both sides. A hot summer day would see easily 100 or more people there. Also seemed to be more open areas around the bottom of the falls then, which has grown up in woods, brush, & poison ivy now. There would be lots of people swimming in the plunge pool, climbing the falls and jumping off, that sort of thing. That sort of thing is probably what prompted the neighbors to put up the obnoxious posted signs. Since the Nature Conservancy has owned it, I would guess the wild times are a thing of the past. When they first purchased the area, you used to be able to park 3 or 4 cars on the side of the road near the trail, but now they even have that blocked off and you have to park down on the main road across from the cemetery.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby cbobcat49 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:07 am

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Postby L_G_D » Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 am

cbobcat49 wrote:http://newyorkoutdoors.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/nature-preserve-at-barberville-falls-in-poestenkill-ny-to-close-due-to-misuse/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NewYorkOutdoorsBlog+%28New+York+Outdoors+Blog%29

Well, that's a bummer. Not surprising, but still a bummer.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby ApproachingLight » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:18 pm

BarberbvilleMap.jpg

Went to these falls recently. Most of the comments here ring true. Not sure I have even seen such hostile sign postings. The attached map describes the property/ownership and more words from me would add nothing more. Lots of water flow, you could cross the river with rock socks. I parked across from the cemetery as mentioned above and walked the 3/8 mile. Trail in, not long at all, but steep.

IMG_9561Top by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

IMG_9555 by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

IMG_9554 by ApproachingLight, on Flickr

IMG_9519 by ApproachingLight, on Flickr
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Next

Return to NY Waterfall Discussion

Thanks for supporting our sponsors

Click here for Finger Lakes photos & gifts

Click for Finger Lakes pics
Adorama Pix

Finger Lakes pics