Fall Brook Falls - Geneseo

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Kelly, Brenda

Fall Brook Falls - Geneseo

Postby hobkyl » Mon May 04, 2009 8:18 pm

I have read about these falls on some other websites and could not find a post for it here. It's listed as private on this site, but you would never know from visiting. There were a half dozen people there yesterday, and no signs were visible. There is even an extensive rope rail going down the hill. Plus several campfire rings are down in the bottom of the gorge. Even though it wasn't at peak flow, it is still quite a respectable waterfall.

Last edited by Matt on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: put Geneseo in the Subject
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Advertisement

Re: Fall Brook Falls

Postby cbobcat49 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Last time I tried to visit here I turned back because it was posted. I had visited twice before that, each time not posted. I'd be curious to know if its legal to visit now or if people are taking the signs down. It's definitely a spectacular falls!

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby Matt » Mon May 04, 2009 8:42 pm

I think it's just one of those falls that's posted, but everyone just visits anyways.
There's also another falls upstream.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby cbobcat49 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:55 pm

There's also another falls upstream.

Really? On the other side of route 63 I guess? Is it accessible?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Postby Matt » Mon May 04, 2009 11:15 pm

It's a small one... 5 feet or less.. in the woods across the street. probably not accessible. I've only seen pictures.
And supposedly Beards creek, across the valley, has a falls as big as Fall Brook Falls. Downstream from Dunkley road.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby monkeycowmeow » Mon May 17, 2010 8:27 pm

There is a waterfall on Beards Creek in Leicester, NY. I think it's nicer than Fallsbrook Falls on the other side of the [img]Genesee River. I don't know if there is a way to get from the crest to the bottom of the gorge unless you hiked upstream. I went down a small trail off of Dunkley Road, it's only about 5 minutes long. It was an easy trail, but posted. According to a geology article I read it drops about 105 feet.

~Lisa
God hath made everything beautiful. (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
monkeycowmeow
Rookie

Postby hobkyl » Mon May 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Thats a nice falls. Not sure if we should be posting falls that are clearly posted though from a legal standpoint? Im also guessing thats not 100' based on the tree sizes along the rim.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby cbobcat49 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:34 pm

That's a beautiful falls! I'd be curious if a hike upstream through the gorge would be posted or not.
cbobcat49

Postby champy1013 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:21 am

monkeycowmeow wrote:There is a waterfall on Beards Creek in Leicester, NY. I think it's nicer than Fallsbrook Falls on the other side of the [img]Genesee River. I don't know if there is a way to get from the crest to the bottom of the gorge unless you hiked upstream. I went down a small trail off of Dunkley Road, it's only about 5 minutes long. It was an easy trail, but posted. According to a geology article I read it drops about 105 feet.

~Lisa

That's a pretty sweet waterfall - looks like something you'd find down south in Tennessee...
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D (Canon EF-S 17-85mm, Sigma 10-20mm), Olympus E-300
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby cbobcat49 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:56 pm

We stopped by here yesterday and found an unposted path to the falls. There was a rope down to the bottom of the gorge that Julie took but I was a bit worn out and decided to stay at the top. She got some excellent shots of the falls. We got lost trying to find our way out though. We ended up wandering around on a bunch of ATV trails that were all heavily posted. :oops:
cbobcat49

Postby hit_thetrails » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 pm

By "here" he means the falls on Beard's Creek. It seems like it is occaisionally visited, or at least has been in the past. There's a tidy campfire ring near the plunge pool, and there's a rope "swing" you could use to jump in the plunge pool, but you may be eaten by a large catfish ;) It's a beautiful falls but the ascent and decent into the gorge are not easy, even with the help of some old extension cord "ropes" -very slippery mud. It almost seems like the land on either side of the creek is owned by two different people, one with posted signs, and one without.
hit_thetrails
Junior
Junior