Kashong Glen

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Kelly, Brenda

Kashong Glen

Postby cbobcat49 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Does anyone know anything about this place? It's on the west side of Seneca Lake.

http://www.priweb.org/ed/earthtrips/Kas ... shong.html
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1:

Advertisement

Re: Kashong Glen

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:50 pm

There's a large falls near Rt15. Not visible form the road. It is on private property, though the creek is navigable a good way up in the spring. I think there are 3 large falls.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby hobkyl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:49 am

Yes, I used to go there when I was in high school. Been awhile. If I remember correctly there are a couple of falls there, but nothing spectacular. One of them has a deep pool that is about as wide and long as a bathtub that you can jump off a 6' outcrop into. Last time I navigated up there, it was dry as a bone. One of the first waterfall treks I ever took, with my older brother and his friends. Guess in a way it led to my passion for waterfalls however didn't realize it till just now! :D
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby cbobcat49 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:52 am

It's amazing how many falls there are in the Finger Lakes. I bet every little stream and gully that flows into the lakes has at least one falls on it. I'm constantly finding out about more and more. Like this one.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Postby hobkyl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:46 am

Yes it sure is. From this, it looks to be bigger than I recall.... http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/13 ... 8487PtPuMp
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Postby hobkyl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 am

Matt-do you mean Rt.14?
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:53 am

no, Pre Emption Rd in Bellona which is Rt 15/6
Matt
President
President

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:51 am

Here's the falls I was talking about. Looks like an old mill there too. That tributary to the right seems to have a nice drop into the gorge too.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Falls here

2 large ones here

small one here, and if you look at the tributary to the left you have a huge falls with at least a 50 ft drop in the series
Matt
President
President

Postby cbobcat49 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:40 pm

Cool! Those last few links look close to route 14. I'll have to check out and see if it's accessable (non-posted) next time I'm in the area.
cbobcat49

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Looking at the high-res maps, that tributary drops about 60 feet there.
My finger lakes geology books mentions the glen as one of the premier fossil locations in the Finger Lakes.
Matt
President
President

Postby hobkyl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 am

Wow, it has been some time I guess...from those images I still do remember it looking like that in there. Looks to be a great waterfall hike.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Postby bremer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:09 am

This glen was popular for years and is a great glen with 3 or 4 20-30 ft falls, plus a 70' tributary falls.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r3thn78khqqv&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=12041280&encType=1

Unfortunetely, one of the falls encourages cliff jumping and after a mercy flight every couple of years for a decade, the glen is now heavily posted and there are hundreds of no parking signs along kashong road centered around the gravel parking lot 1 mile up kashong road from west lake road. Going to this glen is still a possibility, but don't park at the lot or you may be arrested or ticketed. Entering from bellona upstream or the gravel lot on west lake road downstream is still an option but both present much longer walks. In my opinion, closing the parking lot was meant to discourage the party groups that were causing trouble from getting in, and not responsible hikers that have visited for decades.
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
bremer
Senior
Senior

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230
Challenge wins: :star5:

Next