New Quests

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

This is my lastest find and it has some history to it. I plan on going back and doing a story & picture shoot of it. You can see from picture that it's very steep in here. A resident told me that they are going to put some walkin paths in future, for visitors to view falls. Because of the steepness of the walls surrounding the creek, he does not suggest creek walking in here.

:)
Family & Friends are forever - Be well my friend forever !
Last edited by pgflyer1 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Recently I heard of a new waterfalls from a friend. It's in Jefferson county,NY. He told me that it's about 125 feet tall and sit in a half-moon cove and that the local kids swim in the plunge pool below falls and at the lower end of the pool, the kids sit in a exit channel and the water flushes them down stream into the creek below. Here is the coordinates to the falls:
N 43.76514 W 76.00067 I may get up there someday to view and get some pictures. I thought I would let you all know of my find, so you to could get photos too. I found two more in the local area that are about the same size. Here their locations: N 43.83214 W 75.83120 N 43.83347 W 75.83433 . There are hiking trails in this area too. Check CNY Hiking.com, North county trails.
Marty
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

What a tease! Did you not take a camera with you on these three falls?
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Sorry I wasn't teasing anyone ! I located these places on maps only - I have NOT been up to these falls yet !
marty
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

While out on a delivery today, I was checking water flow in the soutern tier. Creeks seem to be flowing good ! I plan on shooting a new falls Sunday, if all goes well? Here's a little gem that flows only when water tables are high. Tried to get the best shot with my Nikon L22. It's only about 10 to 12 feet high. I noticed the colors around this one so I took this picture..
175 Falls 001NYF.JPG
175 Falls 001NYF.JPG (17.24 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I found a little gem in upsate NY, there is no name for this one. The owner calls it " Sugar Bush Falls ", and at this time doesn't want a lot of visitors coming by. On private property - need permission to get close to it. It's approximately 55 feet tall.
Also planning on shooting pictures of another one in spring, seems this one only flows with lots of rain in area. A third little gem that I'll going back to shortly, to get some more pics & video of in Marietta, NY.

I just bought a bushnell, Backtrack GPS 5. Now I can get my exact locations for map locations.
UPDATE: Backtrack gps 5 was returned not very accurate for me ! Now I have an ECCO 2 Gps and it works GR8 !

Have a nice day !
marty
Last edited by pgflyer1 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I found this waterfalls by mistake! I went out today to shoot pictures of one I found online. I missed my turn and found it while turning around. It's about 50 feet tall and 30 feet wide. With all the rain we've had the water was flowing pretty good! Once I get permission from owner, I post it's location.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all !
marty
TCR 001 eml.JPG
TCR 001 eml.JPG (11.12 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I went back to this ravine, because there is a second and third ravine off the main. Here's one of the preliminary photos I shot. Getting permission from owner to shoot pictures from north side of stream.
Falls252012_004 eml.JPG
Falls252012_004 eml.JPG (114.62 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
I have someone interested in going with me to several locations in this area. Another one that I shot a picture is below. Only about 4 to 6 feet wide, but very tall as you can see. With my Eartmate PN-60 GPS, I will be able to get the total height of a falls now. This one is on private land also. And I'll have to access it from two different locations to get the true height.
Falls252012_015 Eml.JPG
Falls252012_015 Eml.JPG (16.98 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Once weather clears and warms up, it will be time to go back for better pictures. Last week an older gentleman died in Moravia area. Trying to get pictures of Montville and Dresserville falls. Two other younger people slipped into Ithaca gorge also, in separate incidents. BE SAFE - KNOW YOUR LIMITS BEFORE GOING !
Marty