New Quests

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

I deliver supplies to body shops that uses our products. So I get to travel around the Syracuse area making deliveries. On my lunch time, I sometimes get to talk to local people in an area and explain that I "hunt" waterfalls. They sometimes in turn ask me if I ever looked at "****" Falls ? I get as much information I can from them as to location etc. Then I come to NY Falls and look up the falls in that county, to see if it's listed. If not listed then I have a new quest !!! :D I read how Matt is updating a map to show all waterfalls by name. I think that's great for everyone involved. I'm not a computer wiz, but if I can be of some help ? I'll try my best to help out. Just email me and let me know what I can do ?
Monday on my lunch, talking to a friend at his eatery I found my next quest and will be going there this Saturday 3/28/09 to take some pictures of at least one waterfalls in the area.
Have a nice day all !!
Marty
ps: I need help with uploading pictures to this website. I'm on dail-up service, windows XP. Anybody that can give me some extra help on this ? Please feel free to email please...
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Welcome Marty,
sounds like a good quest, I look the ones miles from anywhere to photograph.

The best way to upload to this site is open an account in flickr or similar photo site, then link your pictures to here.

backpacker
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The best way to contribute is to post here and keep us updated about your adventures. My list is way out of date too. I have about 20 new accessible waterfalls to add to it.
cascade
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Nikon D70S Nikon D90

Here is a falls I don't think is on your list & shouldn't be. It is a teeny one & definitely not worth traveling for.
Attachments
Falls2.jpg
Matt
President
President

Excellent shot!
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I went back to my new quest. The falls is located in Jamesville NY and it's called Bamerick Falls. It's on private property. Location: N 42.98293 W 76.07543, park on south side of the road, there's a little area to park. It was 67 F here and sunny. The falls is about 40 feet high top to bottom. The main falls is about 20 feet tall and 12 to 15 feet wide. Alot of deer in this area, so wear "tick" repellant.

There is another falls upstream from this one, on "Coye" road. It runs under the road and then drops some distance. And can be acessed from where it goes under the road, you'll need a good long rope to get down there, or creek walk farther down stream up to it. I'm not a mountain goat anymore hehehehe !!

Have a great day all !
Marty
I went back to Bamerick falls yesterday. This is private property but you can go in to take pictures. About 100 feet from corner is a small pull off to park. You'll see a path into woods through a stone wall. I didn't have water proof boots so I wasn't on the right side to get all the way up to falls. When you enter woods follow path always keeping to your right side. Behind log cabin to a clearing and behind a blue house. Somewhere around clearing you need to cross over to other side of creek. The woods has lots of thorn bushes and wild growth covering to ground. So you have to be very careful because there are lots of ruts and rocks hidden in growth. I was able to get a few shots of stream below falls. I was by myself so I don't take chances!
Bamerick Falls map 101.JPG
Bamerick Falls map 101.JPG (483.07 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Bamerick falls 034 Eml.JPG
Bamerick falls 034 Eml.JPG (305.17 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Last edited by pgflyer1 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Matt
President
President

Thanks Marty. I will add this to the list.
I see two off of Smokey Hollow Rd upstream
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
each one behind a house
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Matt:
I looked at the link you had, those two areas look like ponds to me, not sure ? Jamesville is only about 45 minutes from my home, so i can go back and check it out. The link below shows a heavy construction vehicle working something, that something is now a very large house and a very large rotwiller, the owner ownes the falls (the cliff area) which you can see just south east of vehicle. This is the falls i shot. link: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1 . I'll see if i can get someone to go with me, looks like there maybe more possiblities in this area !! Also the link below shows an area farther up coye road. You can see in the picture a hole on this side, where the stream goes through and under road. The other side is where i looked to see a possible area, BUT it was sheer cliff area and deeper than the falls i shot down stream, about 60 to 80 feet i'd guess !
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1 . I'm going to look at another map site for a better view of this area. Have a nice day !

Below shows an access point to the creek off smokey hollow road. I plan on going tommarrow and i'll try to get in here as one of my stops..
There is a possible 10 foot drop in this area that crosses the creek. I found it, looking at topo map on acme.

Live Search Maps
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1