Reynolds Gully - Livingston County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Reynolds Gully

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
50%
2 - Could be better
25%
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
25%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
No votes

Total votes: 4
Justin5321
Rookie

Hate to dig up an old post but for those who decide to go exploring please be aware that the gray cable running accross the gull is to mark were puplic property ends. I am one of the land owners and a few people have told me they have found out about the falls from this website. If you decide to continue on please be advised that charges maybe filed. If you have any questions or concerns please send me an email ([email protected]) thank you JL
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks Justin. We have several topics and warnings about trespassing on this specific site and It doesn't hurt to reinforce the "No Trespassing" policy for the private section of Reynold's Gully. Since I also mark the private falls as "private property-do not trespass" on the page I have written, I wonder if the people that mention my site tend to ignore those bold red disclaimers?
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

If i crossed some line, i left it undisturbed. If this post seems an encouragement, I am sorry. It was a beautiful day and didn't honestly know all these details.
Attachments
IMG_1864_HDRsm.jpg
IMG_1842HDRsmall.jpg
jroz
Junior
Junior

I was there last summer. In these photos you can see the posted signs and the grey cable running above the waterfall. Past that is no trespassing.

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The well-known conservation group announced Wednesday it had worked this week with U.S. Fish and Wildlife personnel to remove an old, unneeded dam from Reynolds Gully, a high-quality stream that provides habitat for native brook trout and flows eventually into Hemlock Lake, the near-wilderness lake that provides Rochester with drinking water.

That stretch of Reynolds Gully passes through a 310-acre parcel the conservancy owns near Hemlock Lake, which is in Livingston County about 30 miles south of Rochester. The group hopes to add the property to Harriett Hollister Spencer State Recreation Area, which lies between Hemlock and nearby Honeoye Lake on Ontario County.

"The project will restore more natural movement of water, better connect the stream to its floodplain and remove an unused structure on the river that is a hazard in times of heavy rain," the Central and Western New York chapter of the conservancy said in a statement. "“Now, for the first time in more than 50 years, brook trout will be able to travel freely in this stretch of the watershed.”

Meanwhile, on Monday the chapter will dedicate 107 forested acres that will become part of the conservancy's West Hill Preserve. The preserve, which now totals 550 acres, is along Seman Road in the town of Naples, Ontario County, near the southern tip of Canandaigua Lake. Part of the Finger Lakes Trail passes through the property.

Folks from TD Bank, a U.S. banking enterprise owned by a financial corporation based in Toronto, will attend the dedication of the Hickory Ridge parcel. TD Bank has provided funds to pay for this acquisition and other Nature Conservancy work in the Finger Lakes, as a green-minded offset to the bank's use of tree-consuming paper.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sto ... o/3177781/

I had no idea the NC owned land on there. Maybe upstream from the closed off area?
waterfallzzz
Rookie

Matt wrote:
I had no idea the NC owned land on there. Maybe upstream from the closed off area?
Yes. I went up there recently and the Nature Conservancy land starts a little ways up on Reynolds Gull Road between Canadaice Lake Road and Townline Road. There is a nice large trail that winds down and eventually comes to the upper Gull. It's rather grand and lovely, running water and some smaller drops here and there. I didn't see any markings after the beginning, so I have no idea where the property line is or runs too and couldn't find the information online either. I walked only a ways down. Lots of posted signs everywhere else I looked on road when trying to figure out where this old dam was, and I still couldn't find it. Definitely worth the trip if you're a member and up for venturing down the gull a ways. :camera:

Also, just a side note: I have never seen brook trout in the gull and I highly doubt they are this far upstream. If so that would be pretty impressive and basically mean that they got there somehow and just stay in this upper section. I have also walked the lower gull from 15A to the lake (it's public land) and the stream actually fades out into the ground for a quarter mile or so - meaning it's not constant flow year-round as said. It picks back up near the lake, but there is no way fish could go further upstream. I've also fished it for rainbow trout and brook trout and have never caught anything. Usually you see snapping turtles, some carp maybe, and minnows. Would love to know where all the trout are that people say are in there. :shock: