Ludlowville Falls - Tompkins County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Ludlowville Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
17%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
67%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
17%

Total votes: 6
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

hobkyl wrote:Those are awesome finds Andy! I wonder if Bing recently updated that area because I have tried looking at those exact depressions before and couldnt rotate around to see anything other than trees. That one looks HUGE. Unfortunately I learned today my fate for this spring/early summer. 6-12 hour days for a month and a half guarenteed, plus OT as required up to that point starting today. Add that to all that I need to do for my folks, and my time with my daughter and I'll be lucky to have enough time to take a :crap: Hopefully, the second part of the year will be a little easier going as I have many new falls to explore...plus I have my early musts, plus ones that I skipped over in 2010.
I think Bing did do a recent update. I also looked along those streams before and couldn't see anything either. That huge one was just about discernable as a waterfall before, and now it's quite clear. In fact, Ludlowville Falls themselves was just a white blob amidst very dithered dark green trees. Now that's plain as day too. But there's STILL no good imagery for Montour/Watkins!!!!!! <*pounding my fist on the table*>

Sounds like you will be a busy beaver for a while. Just let me/us know when you've got a break and are ready to head out... I'm sure we can put something together for an outing. I really enjoyed our Grimes/Clark outing last year, aside from your heart-stopping moment! :) I hope we can all get together again this year and that more of us can make it this time around. It was a lot of fun, and the perfect way to stay cool in those temperatures. That was the first I'd done any swimming at Grimes, and the first time we tackled that one falls straight through like that. So much fun!

I also have falls to catch up on that I didn't get to this year. I'm hoping to get a couple of them under my belt this winter, but there are some that HAVE to wait for the better weather.
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Dont know if you had already tried, but I just went searching for the owner on Tompkins real property page and came back with "Owner information not available". The property type is listed as 557- Outdoor Sport. I tried to call the office, but just missed them. I will try again hopefully tommorow and see what they can tell me.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

hobkyl wrote:Dont know if you had already tried, but I just went searching for the owner on Tompkins real property page and came back with "Owner information not available". The property type is listed as 557- Outdoor Sport. I tried to call the office, but just missed them. I will try again hopefully tommorow and see what they can tell me.

I did look quickly, and got the "not available" message on a lot of properties around there. Which one in particular are you looking at? I don't remember any 557's when I was looking - I mostly saw 242's.
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

On map 26 I think..maybe 27. Its property 1 and has like 113.52 acres
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

hobkyl wrote:On map 26 I think..maybe 27. Its property 1 and has like 113.52 acres

Ah -- that one.. for the falls further up Salmon Creek.. I throught you were referencing the ones between dug rd and buck rd, below Ludlowville Falls.

I just searched the listed address with google.. Lansing Rod and Gun Club.

from their homepage:
"...an expanded facility where we provide many services as well as fun and safe endeavors for our members and the public. We are located on some 160 beautiful acres of woodland and meadows surrounded by hills with Salmon Creek winding through. "
-----
spec
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I looked into these when I was out there years ago. Someone wrote to me about them. They are on private land. Buck creek (actually two creeks that stem fromt he same source and end in Salmon Creek), seasonal tributaries, running only in winter, spring, and after rain.
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Matt wrote:I looked into these when I was out there years ago. Someone wrote to me about them. They are on private land. Buck creek (actually two creeks that stem fromt he same source and end in Salmon Creek), seasonal tributaries, running only in winter, spring, and after rain.
Those are the ones that empty into Salmon below Ludlowville Falls, right? There's the one set on the northern creek that looks fantastic!!

The gun club is above the falls and there's a couple falls on their land that look intriguing to say the least. (the last couple links in my list above) Being that they're already geared towards the outdoor activities, I'm thinking they'd be cool about giving permission to hike there. The very nature of the place assures that I'm gonna call ahead and get permission! :woo:
-----
spec
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

if they agree as long as you dress like a mallard, I would be suspicious.