Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Visiting Gardiner next week

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Visiting Gardiner next week

Postby cofphoto » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:26 am

Hello everyone. I am a Photographer from San Diego and will be visiting Gardiner NY next week M-F. Unfortunately I'll be busy during the day, and it's cold and getting dark early these days. So I'm afraid I might not have a lot of free time during the day. However I'm flying out of Albany at 1pm on Friday and have that morning free to wander.

I am looking for any great scenery nearby to photograph. I love waterfalls so I stumbled upon this site (some amazing photos here by the way).

Any ideas as to what I may be able to photograph in the Gardiner area? I have never been there before.

Thanks!
cofphoto

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Re: Visiting Gardiner next week

Postby Brenda » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:37 am

Hi Shawn. Welcome to NYFalls! While I'm not terribly familiar with that area, this is one place that you might want to check out: http://www.mohonk.com/ Please share whatever you do capture during your visit.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:39 am

I don't know much about that region, but I know it's near Minnewaska State Park, which has numerous waterfalls and is on the Shawangunk Ridge, which is as interesting sight.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby cofphoto » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Oh my that Mohonk House is amazing! I will definitely be checking that out, it looks pretty close to Gardiner. THANK YOU for pointing that one out!!

And I'll definitely share some of the photos that I get while I'm there. Wow, what an amazing place that is when the colors are at their peak. Too bad I'll be a little late this year. =(
cofphoto

Postby Brenda » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:07 pm

That was the first place that came to mind when you mentioned where you'd be. I haven't been there yet, but I happen to know one of the groundskeepers. It is pretty spectacular. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Postby cofphoto » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:20 am

Well I'm back home now. Unfortunately it was really cold this week (considering it was in the 90s at home the weekend before I left) and with it getting dark so early I didn't get as much shooting time as I had hoped.

But i did get up at the crack of dawn each day, as that was the only real daylight time that I had to do any shooting. So here are some of the good ones that I got while I was in NY this week (there are several photos on each page):

The Minnewaska Lodge where I was staying:

http://www.caughtonfilmphoto.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18264

Minnewaska Awosting Falls (this was the only time there was any snow on the ground while I was there):

http://www.caughtonfilmphoto.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18263

And finally the Mohonk Mountain House.......wow would I have loved to have seen this place 3-4 weeks ago:

http://www.caughtonfilmphoto.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18262

Thank you for the help, it was greatly appreciated. The Mohonk House and waterfall were only about 6-7 miles from my hotel, since I didn't have much time it was great to find things to shoot so close by!
cofphoto

Postby Matt » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:39 am

great stuff. i like that shot where your tripod blew over. I'm thinking of staying at that lodge now- how was it?
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby cofphoto » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:02 am

LOL, yeah I had to laugh when I saw that one.

The Minnewaska Lodge was fantastic. It's on a main road, at the intersection of 299 and 44/55 if I remember correctly. But it's 6 miles West of New Paltz, and it's very quiet at night. I got in late the first night around midnight and when I got to my room I opened the door to the deck outside and it was so quiet outside I literally could not hear a thing. The room was nice with a huge king bed. Staff was very friendly. It's small, they don't have that many rooms, maybe 20? I would definitely recommend it.
cofphoto

Postby Winnie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:29 am

Beautiful Photos Shawn! Welcome to the community!
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

Postby Kelly » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:44 pm

Wow! Wow! And Wow some more. Beautiful photos, Shawn! Did I say Wow?
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Challenge wins: :medal: :star1:

Next