Clark's Gully - Naples

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Clark's Gully

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
8%
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
17%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
50%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
25%

Total votes: 12
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

You are welcome, wish I could have gotten some decent photos of the top falls though :angry:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I would say the divide would be at the falls in your last photo. Not one I would recommend climbing.
hobkyl

Those falls are actually pretty easy to climb over. Right up the right side of the falls. Those are the first of the falls that you come to. The first two are beyond that but before this....

I didn't see a safe looking way up those. That is where I turned back.

And the rest of these are somewhere in between those in no particular order. Unfortunately I had the sun directly overhead.

There are a handful of other channels flanking the sides of the gully as well that could hold some falls, but those were bone dry.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Some pics from Clarks...

--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Forge
Rookie

the second from the bottom is a picture of me and andy half way up the scree bank on the left of the big falls, its about the only way to get past them
hobkyl

Yeah crazy Ben and Andy! Lol. I hate that Ive never been able to get a good pic of that falls! Im working on the video...just so much to do and so little time. I opened a Youtube account and will get them uploaded as soon as I can.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

I forgot I took this picture. This is the uppermost falls in Clark Gully that Ben and I saw that day, above the unclimbable falls in Kyle's pics (last one). I took this with my point-and-shoot camera after Ben and I climbed up the gully wall to get past the unclimbable falls. Not the greatest pic, but enough to get the idea.

[img2]http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... 300005.jpg[/img2]

This one is easily climbable on both flanks. Ben went up the left, I went up the right and we continued on above this falls for a bit, but didn't come across anything else major, and the gully was starting to get quite shallow, so we presumed this to be the last large falls (or first, depending on if you're going up or down) on the gully. There were a couple smaller (3-5ft) falls, but that's it.
Last edited by Matt on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: applied img2 tag
-----
spec
hobkyl

For any of others who wish to view these falls and dont want to scamble up scree...there is a trail a VERY STEEP trail that follows the north rim if you stay in the woods instead of entering the creek near the road. It will eventually drop you into the gully right at the top of these falls-if you follow it all the way. (There are numerous other side trails down to the gully).

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/23164

I didnt follow these directions...just viewed it..decided it would be a good hike and went for it...the trail is clearly worn on the north rim. The south rim on the other hand is a different story. It isnt clear once you cross through the gully where it picks up on the other side...had to walk upstream 100 yards or so and head up the bank. I found a vague trail marked sporadically with trail tape that eventually led me to what appeared to be a 4 wheeler trail. I followed that down and it kind of just ends just downstream of the largest falls. According to that site, you can scramble down the scree there...um no thanks. I forged my way through the woods along the rim back to about the first falls. At this point out of nowhere a very well worn trail steeply descended down to the gully. Got down there to realize where I was and I was NOT climbing/falling down any falls! Headed back up the bank of the north side along another used trail and made it back to the rim...followed it back down to my car and out. It was about a 4 hour round trip with plenty of breaks.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook