Dansville area... Ossian

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Anyone know of this falls-- it's marked as just "Falls" on the USGS Topo maps. It's on Canaseraga Creek before it leads into Poags Hole.
Sat Map
Google Map
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

That's Sun Valley Falls. Here's a photo from Scott Ensminger's website.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/8910/
Click Waterfall Photos, then scroll down to the 2nd to last row, 3rd photo.

...however its mislabeled on his site. (not in Arkport, Allegany County)

I saw the photo on the site and he gave me directions how to get there. It's also labeled "falls" in my NYS Gazeteer. I saw in that photo there seems to be another falls downstream. I'll have to check that out some time.

Chris
Matt
President
President

Ah. Thanks! Do you think it's on private property?
cbobcat49

ummm... I believe it is on the property of the Sun Valley Campground. The falls in that photo can be accessed quickly by going down the ravine from the road just to the south of the creek. That possible downstream falls may have to be accessed through the campground itself (which is downstream).... or maybe one could walk down the creek from the first falls.

Chris
cbobcat49

Speaking of falls in that area, last Sunday we finally checked out the falls at Sugar Creek Glen. We got a completely opposite response than 3 years ago (a grumpy NO!) when we asked nicely this time to walk through the glen. We were charged $2.50 each by a nice lady working the booth and she showed us on a map where all the cool falls and "potholes" were. Now I can say I've FINALLY seen Sugar Creek Glen!

Chris
Matt
President
President

That's great.
I was thinking of going back and entering from the north. I think one of the big potholes is above the largest falls. I didn't have time to climb it.
It's a really nice gully.... and $2.50 each is really a bargain considering they have nice accommidations.

Maybe in the fall.
cbobcat49

$2.50 is definitely a bargain compared to similar locations that are state parks ($7) like Enfield and Watkins Glen. They have kind of steep prices for camping though in my opinion. $25 a night I think.

In regards to Sun Valley Falls, I just got an email from Scott Ensminger correcting me that the falls is actually in the town of Burns (in Allegany Co.) The landowners mailing address is in Arkport. (Sun Valley Campground)

Chris
Falzguy

I know this falls as "FALLS BY THE MILL. " The land around the falls was posted durning my visit so please ask the landowner for access permission.