Ithaca Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Ithaca Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
10%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
45%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
45%

Total votes: 20
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I'm really glad that they're going to try to save the stack. I'm pretty sure that Ithaca Gun went under again at the King Ferry location. This is one that I really struggle with because when this contamination was going on it was common practice. They weren't some huge global corporation; rather a local company that put out a fine product for many years. In the end I think that they just couldn't compete. The first gun that I bought Mike was a model 37 Featherlight for bird hunting (at the King Ferry factory). I then purchased the deer barrel for it a year or so later. It's truly a beautiful gun, and how many people can say that they know the people who made it? I wanted it because I saw "the writing on the wall" and I wanted to have one before they were gone. I'm very glad that I did.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

Matt wrote:I'll have to try shooting from the bridge. Can you get above the falls at all?
I don't know what the deal is or where you want to be above, but the person I was with knew Ithaca a little, so we went to a road (a dead end) that leads to a small park. Doesn't seem private as there was a place where you could meditate. Also a small little garage covered with and inside of graffiti. That is right at the top of the falls, when you look over the small wall. It's not a perfect view by any stretch, but a pretty neat vantage point.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Ithaca Falls from down below. Tough place to shoot, I thought, because it was so icy down there. Taken Dec. 26, 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO9TC8b8UGE

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

A closeup of the Falls. Dec. 26, 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlPJILo5Bas

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

A couple of posts ago, I wrote about a view from the top. I took this video from up there (Dec. 26, 2007).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX8BJ5iP6Qk

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

ah, I'd like to get up to that spot to get a few shots. Great videos. thanks.
LWalsh

Interesting reading about the factory. I've been fascinated with the building for a few years now. I'm dying to get some (urban decay) photographs of it but there's No Trespassing signs everywhere.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I actually asked my friend about that and he said the same as me -- it'd be fun to go into that factory, but at what expense? How much trouble you could get into etc. Maybe some Ithaca photographers could let the rest of us know if it's possible to even get in there without getting in trouble? I'm sure others must have done it before.