County Line Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Kelly, Brenda

County Line Falls

Postby wtd » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:56 pm

(the above pictures are of county line falls, located in the hemlock/canadice finger lake region of upstate. it's a good hike on public lands, all you need is a free permit, but if you plan on venturing into the falls area, i would recommend that you bring a long rope, or some good climbing shoes, and a nice walking stick for support, it can get pretty hairy when you get down there, the water flow can get a lot stronger depending on the season.)

please see also:
County Line Falls
http://naturalhighs.net/waterfalls/falls99/countyline.htm
wtd

Advertisement

Re: County Line Falls

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:33 pm

I've been there 3 times and each time it was dried up. It'll probably end up being one of the last falls I get around to profiling.
In the meantime I'll point our index to this page. Thanks for posting this!
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby wtd » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:14 pm

The basin of the upper falls there is really difficult to climb down into, unless of course you're crazy (or maybe brought some rope and spikes). But, walking into the basin of the lower falls is quite easy for exploring. I find these falls interesting because they both kind of have a bowl like shape to them, especially the upper one. Unfortunately, it might not be the easiest thing to decipher from my photos because I didn't climb down into it (to be eaten alive).

Upper County Line Falls
Lower County Line Falls

lower county line falls

wtd

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:17 pm

I've been to the upper, but couldn't figure out how to get down to see the bottom. I'll have to revisit in the spring.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby cbobcat49 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:55 pm

I've been to the upper, but couldn't figure out how to get down to see the bottom. I'll have to revisit in the spring.

You can just walk up from the road to see the lower falls. Unless you're talking about looking at the upper falls from the bottom. Then I think you have to scramble down into the gorge.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1: