Chittenango Falls - Madison County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Chittenango Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
6%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
22%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
72%

Total votes: 18
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Matt
bid you take any pictures in the rain?

I was here Sunday afternoon late.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

We were there around 2 I think. I thought our umbrella could handle the downpour but it was too much. I ended up drying me an my equipment in the restroom hand dryer.
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

Got out to shot some photos yesterday and Chittenango Falls is where I landed. Here are some of the shots I came home with. The water flow was amazing. I love this set of falls all year long, but Winter is totally amazing. I could not get a full view however ... but it is still great and totally worth the trip.

Matt
President
President

was the trail to the bottom closed?
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert

Sure was, but I saw it from the road and it was beautiful. There was a lot of ice just to see what I did, So I did not dare venture too far. It's worth the view ... even in freezing temps. :D
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Matt, nice pics. Chit Falls is a mandatory first stop for me when approaching the central NY falls region from the east. This is a stupendous falls that is not diminshed in the least by being close to major roads. Love that shaded microclimate as you head down the trail from the developed side of the park (trail closed in winter). Also a great place for a pit stop or a picnic due to nice state facilities. The state does charge admission in season. Chit Falls is minutes from the NYS Thruway (I-90) as well as the village of Cazenovia. A future stop for me in the area is the Wizard of Oz (Frank Baum) Museum in Cazenovia. Rainbows and waterfalls go hand in hand!
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert

I still have to visit in the spring time ... than I will have seen them in all seasons. The Winter season has been the best in my eyes so far. Weather pemitting I want to take a trip to high falls and that area in a couple of weeks. The last time I went to rochester ... got really lost ... No GPS :roll:
Matt
President
President

Chittenango school district sued over 35-foot fall
Chittenango, N.Y. - The Chittenango school district is being sued by the family of a teen who fell 35 feet during a field trip to Chittenango Falls State Park.

The parents of Nicole Panebianco accuse the school district of inadequately supervising the middle school outing on June 20. District employees "allowed students to wander and roam in the park with no adult supervision whatsoever," according to the suit, filed this month in Madison County by James Panebianco Jr. and Catherine Panebianco.

At the time of the fall, however, Assistant Superintendent Bill Moth told The Post-Standard that two teachers were with Panebianco and a group of other students when she slipped. He said then that 12 adults had accompanied 90 students on the trip.

Panebianco, then 14, fell about 35 feet and landed on an 8-foot-wide ledge in the gorge, rescue crews said at the time. She was taken by helicopter to University Hospital, where she was treated and released.

The suit does not seek a certain amount of money, but asks a jury to decide on a fair award. School board President Peter Belyea said he could not comment on litigation.
http://blog.syracuse.com/news/2008/02/c ... ct_su.html