Chittenango Falls - Madison County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Chittenango Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
6%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
22%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
72%

Total votes: 18
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Very nice!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

great capture Paul
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: OMD-EM5

I went to Caz years ago and we'd love going down there. We went back up a couple years for vacation and loved going to Chittenango again. It was a great trip. But I had trouble shooting the falls due to the light. I tend to do things early morning and we slept in a bit and didn't get there until maybe mid-morning. even by then it was 98 degrees and 95% humidity outside of the gorge so you can image what it was like down in there! But when is the best time to shoot these falls? I assume later in the day you have the sun right on them. In the am you have glare from shooting at the sun.
Artist4God
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: FUJI S3200

Paul B wrote:Image
Wow...this is stunning!
God bless you and yours!
Rose
www.Artist4God.net
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

CHITTENANGO FALLS STATE PARK (WSYR-TV) - Two people from the Long Island area are safe after emergency crews rescued them after the pair lost their way at Chittenango Falls State park in Madison County.

22-year-old Brian Abramowitz of Commack, NY and Jenna Goldberg, also 22, of Jericho, NY were hiking in the park at about 3:00 p.m. Saturday when they got lost.

After trying to find their way out of the park, Abramowitz and Goldberg called 911 about 6:00 p.m.

911 dispatchers were in contact with one of them via a cell phone and were able to tell Madison County Sheriff’s Deputies where the hikers were as the crews arrived at the park.
the rest here: http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/H ... o2-zQ.cspx
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Really? That park didn't seem that big to me when I was there, not to mention the road that runs along the edge close enough for you to hear traffic most of the time.
LGD
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Yeah, I don't recall it being that big. The weed now is a lot stronger than it used to be!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

There is a whole other side to the park that is just trails along the escarpment.