Rattlesnake Gulf, Tully Vally, Onondaga County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Rattlesnake Gulf

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
33%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 3
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

hobkyl wrote:Are these falls open to the public? I'd definately like to visit.
Yes, through http://www.adamsedencamp.com/

I'll be working with Matt for a write-up shortly
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great job Matt
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

If heading out from the camp it appears that you would be hiking downstream?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

hobkyl wrote:If heading out from the camp it appears that you would be hiking downstream?
yes
hobkyl

Truely an awesome place to visit! Went there yesterday, after seeing Chittanango Falls, Pratts Falls, and getting lost seeking Three Falls Woods. (Matt-you might want to look into your directions for Three Falls as they are confusing.) Spent the better part of the day in Rattlesnake Gulf. Wow is all I can say, will definately be making a camping trip there later this summer. The grandeur of this gulf is generally not found unless it's in a state/county park with mass crowds. Yet we had it all to ourselves. The mudslide down beyond "Great Falls" is very interesting...covering the streambed. The water enters a tiny hole on one side and pours out another hole on the other side of 20' wide or so swath of mud. I love this place...I officially make it my favorite waterfall hike. Sorry I had to attach my pics...I already used my max for the month on Flickr. My pictures do not do this place justice...I look forward to the write up thats in the works.
Attachments
Picture 113.jpg
Picture 165.jpg
Picture 153.jpg
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great photos!
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

3 falls woods is in a residential development, hence probably the confusion as to how to get there...but the last set of directions are very easy to follow to get to the main parking area - turn right off of 173, left onto cascade drive, left onto northfield,follow around the corner till you see glencliff - there it is on the left. Park - walk!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9&t=h&z=17
hobkyl

Well, sorry but it did not seem that simple. We spent 2-3 hours looking for it based on the directions I pasted in below from the Three Falls Woods page. This is all we had with us.

Heading towards the village of Manlius from either direction, get onto Rt 173 (East Seneca Turnpk.)

(it doesnt specify which direction to go on 173)

and heads towards its intersection with Sweet Rd.

There are numerous ways to get to the waterfalls from here. One trailhead is located north on Sweet Rd about half a mile from the intersection with Rt 173. It will be on your right hand side with a small parking area.

(We traveled back and forth 3 times from the intersection of 173 and Sweet Road once we found Sweet Road and could not make out any parking area)

Heading back east on Rt 173 towards Manlius there is an area where one of the streams passes under the road. A small parking area on the left will lead you to a very short walk to the falls.

(I did find this..unfortunately it looked dried up)

Further down towards Manlius you can turn left onto Cascade Dr. and continue until you come to the intersection of Northfield Ln

(Which way on Northfield?)

(you will be in a housing development). Continue on Northfield and make a left onto Glencliffe Rd. You will see parking on your left-hand side. Use the links in the GPS section above to get Google directions to the trailheads.

(Unfortunately we did not read that last part re: using a GPS until after walking aimlessly in the woods for an hour, which we did before trying the other points of entry. Beautiful woods though. Next time I will be sure to look at the map to get a better idea of what direction to head. I was just saying based on these directions alone, one wouldn't be able to find it. Pratts and Chittanango were right to the point with the directions-albiet they are right off main roads. We were running solely off these directions)
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook