Thacher State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Love that first one.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

In the historic marker section, I posted a picture of this marker:

Which describes the nearby Tory Cave. A couple years ago, I had a rare chance to visit the cave, which is normally off limits, with a hiking group and some members of the park staff and a couple of geologists from the NYS Museum. When we got to the cave, let me say I was underwhelmed, calling it a cave is being very generous, more like a crevice if you ask me. I can't imagine spending a weekend there much less a couple of months, or however long the Tory Spy did live there. I don't think he was there during the winter, the cave would give you no protection from the wind and I expect it almost fills with blowing snow. So, below are the two pictures I took while the group milled around and the geologists answered questions.

Looking into the back of the cave, I was standing right at the edge of the opening, so that's pretty much the whole thing.

Looking towards the outside from near the center of the cave, or at least the furthest point in the cave that I could still stand upright.

I've been asked by people I meet in the park what the cave is like and how to get to it, I tell them not to bother. There are a couple of nice caves that you can get to with just a little off trail bushwhack that won't get you thrown out of the park for going outside the fences. I usually tell them to contact the local caving club to get proper permission though.
LGD
wellshorton
Rookie

Visited Thacher State Park yesterday. Indian Ladder Trail is outstanding.

Wells
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

wellshorton wrote:Visited Thacher State Park yesterday. Indian Ladder Trail is outstanding.

Wells
Nice shot, though you need to link to the actual picture, not the page. Is that an HDR? I see some blending errors in the leaves in the upper left. I know from experience it's a tough place to get a good exposure. At least you had decent water, though with all the rain lately, that's not surprising, enjoy it while it lasts!
LGD
wellshorton
Rookie

Thanks for pointing out the blending errors. I'll need to correct it. Also how do I link to a photograph and not the page?
Wells
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

wellshorton wrote:Thanks for pointing out the blending errors. I'll need to correct it. Also how do I link to a photograph and not the page?
Wells
Wow, sorry this is so late in reply, I lost track of this thread. If you don't already know at this point, your original post pointed to the smugmug page at http://wells-horton.smugmug.com/Other/2 ... WNR7/Large which is not the actual picture displayed there. The actual picture file is http://wells-horton.smugmug.com/Other/2 ... y-19-L.jpg which you can find by clicking on the "Share" button at the top of the page and clicking "get a link" using one of the direct link options labeled small, medium, large, etc. You can then use that link by hitting the copy button along side it and pasting that into your forum post with the IMG tags.
LGD
wellshorton
Rookie

Thanks!
slupvatx
Rookie

you mention that the falls @Thacher State Park tend to dry up in the summer. Do you know if the falls are flowing now (Sept. 2011) following Hurricane Irene? If not flowing now, can you recommend other falls within say an hour's drive of Albany?