Thacher State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Aliny
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon Powershot G9

Long-time lurker who went to Thacher today weighing in on the current waterfall situation if anyone's interested...

Things are pretty dry at the moment (I'd post a picture of the one waterfall I saw, Minelot I think, but I'm not sure how to upload). While I did see the one, there really wasn't much to it, it looked much better last fall but I think we can thank Irene for that.

I do have a question regarding the Indian Ladder Trail. I've never done it although I've come close a few times. I'm afraid of heights so I'm kind of scared to do the trail. For those who've done it, how much of a drop-off is there? I've walked along the top part of the cliff many times but somehow I just can't make myself go down those stairs. If I had a better idea of what's at the bottom it might be easier. So, if I may ask, how are things at the bottom of the stairs?
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Aliny wrote:Long-time lurker who went to Thacher today weighing in on the current waterfall situation if anyone's interested...

Things are pretty dry at the moment (I'd post a picture of the one waterfall I saw, Minelot I think, but I'm not sure how to upload). While I did see the one, there really wasn't much to it, it looked much better last fall but I think we can thank Irene for that.

I do have a question regarding the Indian Ladder Trail. I've never done it although I've come close a few times. I'm afraid of heights so I'm kind of scared to do the trail. For those who've done it, how much of a drop-off is there? I've walked along the top part of the cliff many times but somehow I just can't make myself go down those stairs. If I had a better idea of what's at the bottom it might be easier. So, if I may ask, how are things at the bottom of the stairs?
The trail is fairly wide, and there isn't a cliff below, but a very steep hill. There are a few places where the hill drops off more steeply, but for the most part, it's not too bad. It's not a sheer vertical drop and the hill is covered in trees. I would imagine if you can walk along the top without problems, the trail below shouldn't be any. There is no railing though, except around Outlet Falls where it can get a bit slippery, they have a rustic rope railing, and near the other end of the trail (or beginning, if you start from that end), there's a railing as you go under some rock overhangs halfway up the stairs leading out. That is the only spot that might cause problems, as it's a bit confined, the overhang is only about 5 feet above the trail, so even short people have to crouch to get through it. It's not an enclosed space, though, it's open to the view the entire way and is only about 20 feet long total.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

After all that rain last night, had a few hours today and went to Thacher to see what was running. The light was pretty good, so I went to the falls above the Paint Mine parking lot that are usually dry that I last posted about in 2010. Got much better shots this time:
DSC7794.jpg
DSC7794.jpg (147.17 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
The cave that's upstream from here seems to have been silted closed somewhat, probably from the Irene floods, otherwise, most of this water would have gone underground.

Then, just downstream, there's a small falls I never knew existed because there was never a clue that there was ever water going over it. There's a small wet area just above and this must only run when there's been enough rain and you are there just afterwards.
DSC7772.jpg
DSC7772.jpg (241.49 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

:up:
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

A couple handheld HDR shots from last weekend, of Outlet and Mine Lot falls.

LGD