Briggs Gully

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Came in from road to the north where there was a trail. It's been a few months now, but recall a trail head sign that may have been FLLT.

No one has posted a waterfall in a while, so why not? A few autumn shots finally converted. A peaceful waterfall. Nice hike that was private and filled with large trees (cbobcat49 that tree is huge/wide) and a small sense of yesteryear.Feels untouched.

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great shots David! Do you recall...was it Wesely Hill Nature Perserve you came in through?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Pretty certain is was off Wesley Hill Road. I recall a two post sign with a map of the trails.

David
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Great shots!
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks. It is a really pretty area. Not like some of the glen hikes of normal. A picture doesn't quite tell that story.
David
chrisolney
Rookie

Hi everyone. My name is Chris, and I work for the Finger Lakes Land Trust (http://www.fllt.org) where I oversee the management of our many nature preserves located around the Finger Lakes region. We are delighted that people are visiting and enjoying the Wesley Hill Preserve, located on the north side of Briggs Gully near Honeoye Lake. We hope that some of you will join as members of the Land Trust, and perhaps volunteer your time to help take care of this preserve and others.

For those of you who are anxious to explore the gully, I want to emphasize that the Wesley Hill Preserve only borders a portion of Briggs Gully (and in no place does it cross onto both sides of the gully, being fully on the north side). More specifically, the waterfall that has been photographed and discussed on this web site is ENTIRELY ON PRIVATE LAND, off of the preserve. The landowner has indicated that he does NOT want people to trespass on his land. When hiking on the Wesley Hill Preserve, please respect the preserve boundaries and do not enter onto other private lands via the preserve without permission.

I have attached an image of the preserve map for your reference, which is also on display at the two kiosks at the preserve. The colored lines are the marked hiking trails (same colors as those marked on the trees). Please note the locations where the preserve boundary (the heavy black and white dotted line) does and does not border the bottom of the gully. You can learn more about the preserve on our web site: http://www.fllt.org/protected_lands/pro ... .php?id=31

Thanks for your cooperation, and thanks also for your support of land conservation efforts in the Finger Lakes!
- Chris Olney
Wesley Hill Preserve Map (updated 2008)(reduced size).JPG
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Thanks for the clarification. Did you suggest that the owner post their property? Private is private...I agree and I myself will not visit the gully unless I obtain permission. However, the last time I was there there were no posted signs. The gully traverses several different properties and to the unknowing explorer...they would never know.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
chrisolney
Rookie

Thanks for your understanding and respect of the boundary lines. We have tried to make the preserve boundary as clear as possible, and the neighboring landowner did say he would post his own boundary, but that may or may not have have been done adequately. Steep gullies can be difficult places to mark boundary lines.